Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Astronomical dish towels

Today I had the honor of attending the retirement party of one of my dear undergraduate professors, Dr. Mary Lou West.  Dr. West taught physics and astronomy and was basically my advisor for the concentration of my minor.  She always made any class she taught fun AND always always always got the students interacting with the subject.  The party was a lot of fun and I got to see a few professors that I haven't seen in a while.  One of my favorite things about Dr. West is how she always wore something to do with astronomy (or physics)--a funny or interesting shirt, or perhaps a quirky pair of earrings--but every day something different and interesting!  As part of my gift to Dr. West I made a pair of astronomy-themed dish towels.  I picked out blue towels and crocheted appliques for them!  She absolutely loved them!!

Here are the towels!


A close up of the sun and...


...a close up of the moon! (Note the whimsical nose on the moon ;)).


And here are a few photos from the party.  Dr. West is featured on her retirement cake!! (along with the planets!)



Dr. West and I proudly showing off the towels that I gave her.


Dr. West with one of my good friends from undergrad, Nathaniel!  We both were in many of Dr. West's classes!


Being a student of Dr. West's was one of the best parts about being an undergraduate.  Thank you so much Dr. West for all that you've done for your students.  You are truly an excellent teacher and friend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment